Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday 3 April 2016

Best, Buddha & Bhutan

Most of us, always try to be the best in something or the other, if not everything! A lot of us, at the same time, DO accept that being the best in things in simply not possible, and that it is absolutely alright to NOT be the best at whatever I do. However, who wouldn't like to be the best? The numero uno at something. That is an another feeling altogether, and would be great to experience. And thus sets out our innate nature, of us trying to become one of the best at something at some point of time in life, or maybe push some loved one to achieve that!

However, what I find intriguing is the meaning of this being the "best". What does being the best really mean? Does it mean being the topper in my class, or being the most awarded employee at my job, having the best of friends since I am such an excellent friend to have, being the best lover, being the ideal daughter or son, being the best parent, or simply being the best human being? While being the best in class may be the top wish of any student's parents, being the best human on the face of this planet seems quite a daunting task! When everyone around you is part of such a rat race, it is not easy to not be a part of it yourself in some way.

Then, at times, I think of Lord Buddha, who renounced all his worldly possessions to attain enlightenment, and eventually moksha or eternal liberation. What if a kid follows this path, and lets go of his/her studies? He would be a failure in class and to his friends, yet maybe the best at having a shot at attaining enlightenment at such a young age! It becomes kind of a paradoxical scenario, where being the best turns out to be just a matter of one's perspective.

It makes me thus realize that there is no need to take so much of stress, being a part of any rat race, constantly competing with others throughout life, as each and every individual can be the best in their own way. After all, it is just a matter of perspective! Such a realization does help in providing calm and inner peace, and I hope it can help you achieve the same.

I was reading an article the other day, which had content written on Bhutan. In that, their king mentioned that to him and his people, Gross National Happiness is more important than Gross Domestic Product (GDP). That is such an excellent ideology, and a good food for thought.

Cheers,
Be Happy!
#AtoZChallenge


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world, and to the A to Z Challenge! Nothing like jumping in with both feet :)

    I'd also read that about Bhutan, and like it. One thing writing and blogging has done: I've gotten pretty clear I'm not the best. The most I can hope for and all I should need, is to be the best I can be. And I'll take that one day at a time: the best I can be TODAY.

    Rebecca at The Ninja Librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yup have jumped in and hope not to slide :)

      And that is nice, just be the best that you are, be the best Rebecca because there is only 1 like you, unique, no competition.
      I also believe we should live each day as its our last (though haven't gotten to be able to do that), but I guess it would be a nice happy place for us all then :)

      Delete